The other day I cleaned out my wallet, my car and rounded up my receipts and realised I've spent a small fortune on burrito bowls (and sushi but that's for another day). I'm talking like WAY TOO MUCH. I'm talking like I can sponsor a child from my burrito bowl expenditure! But the thing is, they're expensive because I like to customise my bowls and I thought since I'm already making the calls on my burrito toppings/fillings I should totally make my own.
And, boy, was it simple!!?!
So, since I'm trying to be a little healthier, up my proteins etc etc etc, I've made a few little healthy swaps. Instead of having the rice as the base I've swapped it for salad and used brown rice as one of the toppings instead. I also subbed the chipotle crema/mayo dressing for a chipotle, lime and greek yoghurt dressing.
1/4 head of iceberg lettuce - shredded
1/5 cup of cooked brown rice
1/5 black beans - cooked and drained or just drained if using canned
1/5 corn - blanched
1 carrot - shredded
1/8 head of purple cabbage - shredded
Lean cut of steak
1 tomato - chopped
1/4 onion - chopped
Cilantro/Coriander - chopped
1 jalapeño pepper - seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons of greek yoghurt
3 tablespoon of adobo sauce
pinch of cumin
1. Marinate the steak - 2 tablespoons of adobo, and a pinch of cumin, set aside for up to a day
2. Make the pico de gallo - throw the tomato, onion, jalapeno, some coriander in a bowl with some lime juice and salt. Set aside.
3. Grill the steak and rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing into cubes or strips
4. Mix the cabbage and carrots together with a pinch of salt and some lime juice and set aside
5. Make the dressing - whisk the yoghurt, adobo, lime and a pinch of salt and pepper until it's fully incorporated and smooth if it's a bit too thick add a tiny bit of water but this really depends on the consistency of your yoghurt.
6. Assemble everything in a bowl!
I personally like to start with a nice bed of lettuce but I've also done a swap around with cabbage. Also this is soooo good and easy I like to make double/triple of everything and keep it all in the fridge so I can make this when ever I want. Alternatives: Swap brown rice for quinoa.